Tuesday 2 September 2014

Here come the Charlton Cherubs

When Roland said he wanted to enhance the match day experience at The Valley, I feared that this might mean cheerleaders and if we are to believe the Greenwich Visitor we are going to get them in the form of the Charlton Cherubs (a naff name if there ever was). They are students at the University of Greenwich.

As it so happens, one of my granddaughters is in to cheerleading and it suits her extrovert personality. I am sure it's fun for the girls themselves. However, it doesn't seem very Charlton to me, a bit American. The fact that it happens at Palace is a recommendation not to do it at The Valley.

If it happens, I'll just let them get on with it and read the programme. What would really put me off is naff goal music or, even worse, music when we win a corner (which rarely leads to anything).

4 comments:

Mike Woodhouse said...

I can still (just about) remember the Delco (or was it Denco?) Dancers, who made a half-time appearance once, probably in the 70s. Ghastly, but clearly it made an impression.

Sciurus Carolinensis Nemesis said...

I seem to remember the Hammerettes (equally naff name) provided a moment or two of entertainment at the boleyn some years back
Although what we'll be able to see from our lofty vantage point in the upper west I'm not sure
So long as their 'music' isn't piped in at deafening volume I can't see the harm aside from further inflaming the testosterone levels of the preposterous teens in the ultras or whatever they call themselves this week

Wyn Grant said...

I hadn't thought about the volume of the music, but it could be a problem. It is an issue before the game when I am unable to talk to the blokes beside me or at least hear their replies.

Anonymous said...

It is being reported on the BBC website that Sir Chris is now the manager of Huddersfield. Living a few miles as a Charlton supporter, I will be watching them as my new second team.