Tuesday, 1 December 2009

I do like to be by the seaside

Rob Elliot returned in goal for Charlton tonight and Omosuzi replaced the injured Kelly Youga. Wagstaff was brought in for the left wing spot.

An early Charlton free kick caused some tension with pushing and shoving and both linesmen came across to talk to the referee reports Paul May. A yellow card was shown to Sodje and a Brighton player within a few minutes of the match starting.

It was very much a stop and start first ten minutes. Elliot made a poor clearance but Bailey was able to deal with the danger.

After sixteen minutes Brighton won the first corner of a rather dull game. The Seagulls put in a flying header which was heading for the top corner but Elliot flicked it out with his hand.

Omosuzi gave the ball away with a poor pass. A Brighton free kick was taken from around the halfway line, an uncertain Elliot tried to punch it away and Burton had to clear the danger.

Basey's delivery from a free kick was disappointing. Burton tried to take advantage of a good pass from Bailey. Wagstaff, now on the right, dealt well with a Seagulls attack. Wagstaff was fouled twice as he advanced down the line and the Addicks were given a free kick. Elphick received a yellow card, possibly for dissent. From the free kick by Bailey, Burton headed in from the edge of the area to give the Addicks the lead.

Brighton won a corner as they tried to respond on the half hour mark. Charlton managed to clear, but Sam was penalised and Brighton given a free kick 20 yards from goal which went just wide.

Elliot dealt well with a threat from Murray by racing off his line. Sodje headed back well to Elliot. Basey raced down the left, slammed the ball in low and Wagstaff put it past Graham Smith in the Brighton goal from six yards out.

Brighton won their third corner of the game. Brighton's shot went way over. Wagstaff tried to chip the keeper, but his effort went over.

Brighton won their fourth corner, but it was headed away. Brighton brought the ball forward again but Elliot punched clear confidently. There was a chance to make it 3-0 with a cross from Omosuzi but Burton put it wide as he slapped his head in frustration.

Brighton won another corner, but Bailey headed it away as the game entered stoppage time. Brighton attempted to shoot, but Burton blocked it. Sam went down to win a free kick.

Half time: Seagulls 0, Addicks 2

The Seagulls won their sixth corner of the game, Charlton broke and there was a narrow offside decision against Sam. Brighton won a free kick when the lino flagged for it in the other direction, but Elliot claimed the ball well.

Charlton won their first corner of the game. Basey's effort almost found Dailly. Dicker received a yellow card for a late challenge on Mooney. The free kick was 25 yards out. Bailey's effort went into the wall, his second attempt went wide. Brighton brought on McNulty to replace El Abd at left back.

Sam advanced well, but Smith was able to claim the ball. Brighton put in a cross, but Sodje blocked it. Brighton applied some pressure, but Charlton coped well. The Seagulls brought on Liam Dickinson in place of the waning Forster.

Brighton won their seventh corner, it was half cleared by Basey, leading to an Addicks goal kick. Mooney headed wide after Omosuzi had created a good opportunity. The partisan home support was subdued.

The Seagulls won their eighth corner. Omosuzi headed away well. Brighton played the ball back in, but Elliot claimed it. A Brighton free kick was cleared from the line, the ball went in but the referee had already ruled that there was a foul on Elliot. He was then booked for time wasting by hapless referee Gavin Ward.

Basey conceded an unnecessary corner when he should have put it out for a throw in. Charlton were able to clear. Mooney was spoken to by the referee for kicking the ball away. Burton went off and Akpo Sodje came on. Charlton applied some pressure, but Wagstaff's effort went over.

Charlton won a corner after Akpo Sodje advanced, leading to a second taken by Bailey.
The keeper palmed it away from the crossbar under pressure from Sam.

Brighton won their tenth corner which was headed away. Charlton broke well with good play by Wagstaff, but Akpo Sodje's effort went just wide. Sam put in a great cross, Mooney's header was well saved by Smith and also the rebound. The Addicks advanced again, keeping up the pressure.

Murray went down in the vague hope of a penalty. Mooney was given a yellow card for kicking the ball away. Brighton made their third substitution with four minutes of time left. Mooney was replaced by McLeod.

The Seagulls won their eleventh corner. Charlton broke forward, winning a throw in. Four minutes were added on. Semedo won a free kick. Brighton won corner number twelve and the whistle blew for the first away win since Tranmere in August.

There was little Uruguyan magic from Brighton while Charlton seized their opportunities and were solid in defence. Bailey had a good game. The nearly nine hundred Addickted were sent home happy.

Colchester lost at Brentford to a Charlie McDonald strike, but the real threat - Norwich - won 3-0 at Southend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fair match report but it was a poor game played on a poor pitch in a poor stadium. I thought we were very poor in the second half showing very little attacking ambition. Although our second goal was a class move. Thankfully the seagulls were worse than poor in front of goal. The ref was a complete joke. I think the match finished not much before ten pm. (added on time because the ref was time wasting )