Monday 24 February 2014

Sheffield derby called off

That's what I call a celebration

Hamer came back in goal for the Addicks tonight, while Fox started in front of a crowd of 24,607, perhaps 1,500 of them Addickted. The Wednesday fans needed their ticket stubs for the anticipated Sheffield derby. Charlton won an early corner. Wilson set up Astrix, but his shot was over hit. Llera was giving attention to Church. A handball by Llera was ignored by referee Clattenburg. With a better angle a cross from Cousins could have set up Church.

Fox was playing his part in clearances. Wednesday seemed to be hoofing the ball a lot, particularly through Llera. Wilson provided good defending. Wood had to usher the ball back to Hamer, giving the home fans their first moment of excitement. Charlton came very close to scoring. Astrix’s first shot was blocked by Llera and his second was deflected for a corner. Charlton continued to ask the questions.

Wood tackled well to deny Best. Wednesday continued to offer long and high balls. A good ball in evaded Harriott. Michael Morrison dealt well with a ball pumped forward. Church won a corner for Charlton under pressure. The Addicks won another corner, taken this time by Jackson. Cousins put a cross in as the Owls appealed for a foul, a shot from Astrix was blocked and Harriott slammed the ball into the right-hand corner to make it 1-0 to Charlton in the 21st minute.

Church put in a snap shot from the edge of the area with the home side at sixes and sevens. Wilson dealt with an Owls attack well, stopping Maghoma from threatening. The home crowd were getting restive. Wednesday got the ball, but gave it away to Wilson.

A foul on Church was ignored by Clattenburg. Hamer was seeing a lot of the ball as it came over the top. There was a long pause in the game for an injury to an Owl.

Ben Hamer had to make a good save diving to his left. A Wednesday free kick ended in one for Charlton. Best put in a quick fire shot which went straight to Hamer but enlivened the home crowd.

Poyet put in a poor ball back and Hamer had to react quickly. Wednesday won their first corner in the 44th minute. Hamer flapped a little and it was panic stations until the ball was cleared. Three minutes were added on and the Owls continued to apply pressure. Charlton won a free kick to ease the pressure. Wilson went down, but managed to get up, but then had to go off for treatment. Llera clattered in to Church and took him out, but Clattenburg missed it when it should have been a yellow at least. Johnnie Jackson and other Charlton players spoke to the referee as the teams went off.

Half time: Owls 0, Addicks 1

Cousins cleared as the ball pinged around in the penalty area. Poyet was pushed over and Clattenburg waved it away. An effort by Jackson which was hit low and hard was close as Martinez scrambled across.

Wednesday were applying more pressure as they attempted to get back into the game. They equalised through Leon Best on 55 minutes, a long ball into the box and a header down. The atmosphere in the ground became electric with the home fans singing a song for the first time. The Owls made a double substitution.

Jackson had to complete a clearance after Hamer was unable to do so. Charlton applied a little pressure. Clattenburg booked Best for dissent. Llera clattered Church again, got a yellow card and Charlton won a free kick. Church got on the end of the Jackson free kick with his head to make it 2-1 to Charlton.

Morrison had to head the ball out for the second Wednesday corner of the game on 71 minutes and Hamer saved on the touchline and Wood was down injured. He got up, but was struggling.

Wilson defended well by sticking to his man. Harriott went down, but recovered. Church came off. Lawrie Wilson defended superbly to stop a run. Hamer made a superb save and the offside flag went up.

Wood got a yellow card which could have been red. The free kick led to a corner on 89 minutes but Llera put it over the bar. Wood came off and was replaced by Dervitte. Wednesday fans started to leave for the exit. Five minutes were added on. Charlton launched an attack and won a free kick 35 yards out. Hughes came on and Astrix went off to be congratulated by Chris Powell.

Hamer had to make a great save from a ball that took a deflection. There was chaos in the box after the corner. Charlton won a free kick. The whistle blew and the Addicks were one step closer to Wembley, although the Blades will be no pushover.

I see that Radio 5 referred to our result as 'elsewhere'. But a message of congratulation from Standard Liège is appreciated: 'Félicitations a l'équipe de Charlton qui s'rest qualifée ce soir pour le quarts de finale de la FA Cup.' Merci beaucoup. Allez les rouges!

Hopefully we will get a chance to play them in a pre-season friendly. I did think of going over myself, but my French is not good enough, plus my accent (which is a mixture of Bruxellois and Quebecker) might arouse the suspicions of the locals who might think I was Flemish rather than English.


Anonymous said...

Brilliant win and performance. I hope we can assume Hamer is here to stay in 1st team. Hopefully the cup will spur us on in the league too but our squad will be fully stretched by the fixture congestion to come. I'm trying not to dream of Wembley but it's difficult. If they do make it past Sheff Utd, it's going to be interesting to see how the FA cram all our fixtures in before the end of the season. Powell has a dilemma too as to how he makes team selections. Does he prioritise league or cup? We simply don't get this far in cup competitions very often so my priority now would be fielding our strongest team in the Cup but others probably disagree.

Geoff said...

Wyn, it was MASSIVE. Apols, but irresistible. Sir CP's celebration was also massive as your picture shows. Lots of grumbling from Owls on the tram back at TV pictures of the ball hitting Church's arm, but none of the papers, included the local "Star" picked it up.

Anonymous said...

This, for various reasons, was my first Charlton match for several years. A few thoughts.
Hamer was very reassuring in goal (and also managed to wind up the Wednesday fans). Think Deano and actually with rather similar kicking skills!
I hadn't realised how young some of the team are. Poyet I thought was very much in control. Harriott was exciting, but like many Charlton wingers in the past doesn't deliver the ball well. Still he did do well for the goal. Jackson solid. Church ran his socks off and deserved his goal. Astrit very exciting but faded. Powell's celebrations reminded me of the good old days.
I was also very impressed by the noise made by Charlton fans.