Monday 3 March 2008

The fairy tale that is Bristol City

That's how The Times starts its report on Bristol City this morning. In the Telegraph City manager Gary Johnson states his determination to win at The Valley tomorrow both to end Charlton's automatic promotion hopes and seal his own team's chances of promotions which he reckons require only six more wins: Bigging It Up

I must say that I am baffled by Bristol City's rise to supremacy and I have difficulty in believing that they are invincible. Of course, Bristol is one of the larger cities in the country and should in principle be able to support a Premiership team. But then there are two teams in the city creating a bit of a 'Sheffield effect' and it is also rugby territory.

Although Bristol was once the second city in the country at the height of the slave trade, I have difficulty it taking it seriously as a major metropolis. I think I have only been there four times in my life which is far short of the visits I have made to other major cities in the UK.

I note that ex-Millwall charm merchant Cahill celebrated his goal for the Toffeemen yesterday with a handcuffs salute intended for his brother who is serving time for GBH. You can take the man and his brother out of Bermondsey ...

For those of you don't have time to read our football economy page regularly, I am doing a monthly digest for the Albion Road site which is an interesting football site in other respects as well: Albion Road

No comments: