Friday 7 March 2008

Reading off results

There at least three ways of 'reading off results':
1. Reading results off the table. Though this may sometimes be possible in the Premiership, one lesson that we have learnt this year is not it doesn't generally work in this division, particularly for Charlton.
2. Reading results off previous form against the team you are playing. This would have predicted the defeat at Blackpool but not the win at Sheffield United. And I don't think Tom Finney will be turning out for Preston tomorrow.
3. Reading results off recent form. This is probably the best guide of the three, and Preston seem to be on a mini run at the moment, having defeated Leicester away. Given Charlton's inconsistency, paricularly against teams fighting relegation, this does not bode well.

All this is another way of saying I have no idea what the result will be tomorrow, although I am going to put 2-0 on the pub jackpot. The arrival of Lita, who apparently is going to start, gives me hope. He should offer a combination of pace and accuracy. Despite his disappointing cameo on Tuesday, I would also start Scott Sinclair.

At the back I would start with Weaver, of course. Given that Bougherra is still injured, I would keep faith with McCarthy and Sodje. Youga had a bit of a mare on Tuesday, particularly in the second half, but his pace could be useful against the rather static defence I saw at Deepdale. For similar reasons, I would bring back Moutaoukil, given that Halford can offer long throws but not much else.

In central midfield it is, of course, Holland and Zhi, demonstrating our lack of options there, although I would consider replacing Holland by Semedo. Given his current eye for goal, I would play Ambrose.

I'm looking forward to meet the Chicago Addick again tomorrow and the New York Addick for the first time, along with Ken Jennings from CAFCPicks who is over from Victoria Island.

My thoughts are already turning to my trek north to Burnley on Tuesday as I think this will be a crucial match in terms of our hopes of a play off place.

2 comments:

Ken Jennings said...

Despite Tuesday's somewhat tired display (including management)I'm going for 3-0 in the pub jackpot!

And thanks for the Warwick pub suggestion -super food and ales in abundance, and a REAL landlady.
See you tomorrow, Wyn.

Anonymous said...

I thought Holland had a really good game on Tues, breaking up a lot of their attacks, making some excellent passes and even getting in a good shot towards the end. I am a big fan of Somedo but at the moment Holland is in good form.