Thursday 13 March 2008

News and the blogosphere

The Communications Dept. at Charlton is in an almost impossible position. They cannot release any news until every i is topped and every t is crossed. Hence, we often read about transfers first on, for example, Sky Sports News.

An internet rumour is circulating that Scott Sinclair has returned to Chelsea. This is not entirely surprising given one of the many leaks at the recent EGM. Indeed, another Charlton site has already specified the reason which relates to the fact that the youngster found certain aspects of the Valley experience challenging.

Football clubs are often reluctant to release news because it may give rivals a commercial or playing advantage. However, like any other club, Charlton is quite leaky. In the past I have received information from employees (not current ones) and I sometimes wondered if this was a form of 'kite flying' to test fan reaction, just in the way that government departments leak possible policy plans. There are also at least two people on the Addicks list who appear to receive inside information from Sparrows Lane.

In an ideal world, there would be more transparency. If I had understood how bad the club's financial position last summer when they axed the women's team, I would not have cancelled my player sponsorship.

I sometimes think that the club finds it difficult to know what to do about the expanding blogosphere around The Valley. To his credit, Peter Varney organised a bloggers' meeting, although I was unable to go because I was abroad. But what would I do if I was in his shoes? Would I ignore the blogs altogether? Or attempt to engage with them?

I don't know the answer and I won't have to answer the question as the club is not going to advertise the post of chief executive and I won't be able to do a New York Addick and put in an application. It would certainly be more interesting than working on bovine diahorrea which is what I have been doing this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Working on bovine diarrhoea Wyn?

I'd have thought you'd have got that off pat by now..

Pembury Addick