Sunday 30 March 2008

An inspirational message from Iceland



Yes, it's your old pal Olfaur. I am still following the fortunes of the Charlton club from Grindavik and a friend in need is a friend in deed as you say in your country. Of course, now that Mr Curbishley has gone to the Ham West club, and it is owned by Icelandic persons, I also keep an eye on their doings.

As you may heard, we are in deep do do in Iceland right now. Our currency is falling fast, inflation is going through the rafters and I hope you do not have any of your savings in an Icelandic bank.

For myself I am glad that I am not in the financial services, but the good old fashioned industry of catching the fish. If all else fails, we can still see you a few cod for the fish and chip shops. As you know I first became an Addick when I saw the man with a haddock on a stick after the great victory at Wembley.

I heard that Big Dave Lockwood said after the match yesterday on the tannoy 'Keep the faith' but in tones of great dolefulness. Now I do not quite know what Mr Pardoo has been up to, as the Charlton club does not feature so much on the Icelandic media since Mr Hreidarrson went to the Portsmouth club, but it doesn't look good to me. It is also not such a smart idea to blame the paying customers when they don't like what is served up in front of them.

It doesn't matter whether it's a plate of cod and chips or a football team. If it is not good enough, it is not the customer who is in the wrong. It is the man who caught the cod or the lady who fried it. Similarly, if Mr Pardon selects the wrong players or gives them the wrong tactics, is that the fault of Bill from Barnehurst?

When we crew our fishing boats we like to train up our best youngsters for the job. Of course, sometimes there is an unexpected vacancy and we have to bring someone from outside in to help, a loan if you like. But we only do that as an emergency measure. We do not build a crew of strangers to go and fish in dangerous seas.

As it is with fish, so it is with football. Unfortunately I had to leave England after some young entrepreneurs in Liverpool made off with my van and its fish. In those days the players of the Charlton club played for each other, as a team. They knew each other and they had bonded together for the cause.

Bring back those days and you will make the No.1 Icelandic Addick a very happy man.

No comments: