Friday, 13 August 2010

Ten man Charlton go top with 3-1 win

Akpo Sodje was dropped in favour of Lee Martin to partner Pawel Abbott up front against the O's at Brisbane Road reports Paul May. Racon was drafted in to replace Semedo in midfield, partnering McCormack. Francis replaced Solly at right back.

Reid cut in and put in an effort from his right foot but it was comfortably saved. Charlton conceded the first corner of the game taken by Spring. It was poor and Reid was able to clear. Charlton started a counter attack but Francis over hit his pass.

Omosuzi put the ball into the stand. As Orient threatened, Doherty got there in time to avert danger but at the expense of a corner. Wagstaff cleared down field.

Charlton put some decent moves together, but Orient were able to clear. Orient threatened and Dawson put the ball just over the crossbar. A shot by Reid was charged down. Elliot made a great save from Dawson by palming the ball away. A Charlton free kick went straight into the arms of Jones.

In 26th minute Charlton had their first clear chance, Francis put in a curling ball and McCormack ghosted in and headed the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-0 to the Addicks.

Martin burst into the area, his shirt was tugged, but nothing was given. McGleish got into a promising position, but he scuffed the ball. Racon put in a good tackle on Dawson. The throw by Omosuzi was ruled to be a foul one.

Dailly used a hand in a dangerous position just outside the area and received a yellow card. Spring's effort went into the wall, Omosuzi's shot was cleared by McCormack at the expense of a corner which was poorly taken by Spring, but Reid's ball was poor and Parky was furious with him.

McGleish received a yellow card for a late challenge on Wagstaff much to the veteran striker's annoyance.

Half time: O's 0, Addicks 1

McGleish tried a shot, but Doherty cleared. Abbott threatened, but the O's were able to defend at the expense of a corner. Jones punched out Jackson's effort.

Charlton were on the break, Racon over hit a pass, Cox got on the ball and put a cross behind the Charlton defence and McGleish scored to make it 1-1.

Christian Dailly went in late on Dawson and he received the second yellow and was sent off. Llera was brought on and Reid was taken off. Charlton switched to a lone striker in Abbott. The free kick went to Omosuzi and his deflected effort led to a corner.

Orient made an attacking substitution through Daniels. Wagstaff on the counter attack finished brilliantly to curl the ball beyond the keeper to make it 2-1 to the Addicks. Dawson tried to claim a penalty off Racon.

Good play by Abbott attracted a foul. A header by Revell went wide. Martin was adjusting well to his more defensive role. Orient attacked again, but Elliot was able to save. Cox continued to threaten now he was playing on the right.

The O's won a corner. Charlton could only partially clear, but eventually they won an offside decision. Porter who signed from Cray Wanderers in the summer came on in place of Chambers and Cox switched to the left.

Daniels got between two defenders and won a corner for Orient. Elliot thumped away a cross. The referee stopped play for a facial injury to McCormack as the Orient fans called for a handball.

Abbott received a yellow card. A punch from Elliot came out to Dawson but his effort went wide. As the rain came down, Martin made a good tackle on Porter and got a free kick for a push. The hard working Abbott was taken off and Sodje came on to provide a fresh pair of legs.

Revell who picked up a knock in a collision with Elliot was taken off and replaced by another striker in the shape of Jarvis. An effort from Spring thumped against the flats and received a derisory cheer from the 1,593 Addickted in the East Stand.

Porter's inexperience was showing time and again and he hardly looked like the secret weapon claimed by Orient. Sodje pressed forward and had to be tackled. Charlton were defending well.

Five minutes were added on as a cross from Porter went straight into Elliot's arms. Elliot gathered well from a cross with Jarvis lurking. Solly came on in place of Lee Martin who had worked hard.

Wagstaff created Charlton's third goal getting beyond Daniels, putting in a hard and low cross and allowing Solly to slide in and score with his first touch.

Charlton went top of the table, possibly the first team to reach that position without finishing a game with 11 men.


WattO said...

Thay was the best full 90 minutes performance I've witnessed for the for many a moon, and the best televised performance in memory! The team worked well, and spirit looks great! I am filled optimism!

Geoff said...

What a difference 3 days makes. Well, not 3 days so much as 3 of the midfielders actually making a contribution in addition to Rocky Racoon. Waggy was transformed from the tippy-toe character of the opening game and the shambles at Shrewsbury. Playing to this standard the lads could raise expectations way beyond survival.

Still fail to understand CAFC's attitude to the League Cup persistent from way back in the Curbs' era. There is money to be had from it and it need not be used for blooding youngsters and new signings now that we have the Paintpot to provide for that. In particular, the difference is too slight between League 1 and 2 to take the risk, and the lower Division clubs act with inspired resentment at facing the 2nd XI.