Saturday, 18 August 2012

Charlton hearts broken by last minute equaliser

A last minute equaliser by Birmingham denied the Addicks victory at St.Andrews, but they can take heart from a 1-1 draw. We would have taken it before the game.

Not too many surprises in Charlton’s line up today, except possibly the inclusion of Bradley Pritchard, merited in my view, reports Paul May from St. Andrews. Wagstaff was not in the eighteen.

Cort had to head away from danger as Marlon King advanced. Hamer made a comfortable save from Lovenkrandz. Charlton won a free kick on four minutes at an angle on the right about 20 yards out. Jackson’s effort took a deflection off the Birmingham wall and was not far wide. Jackson headed just over from the good corner by Stephens.

Wright-Phillips was held as he advanced, but the referee was not interested to the indignation of Chris Powell. The 1,637 Addickted in the crowd of 18,210 were in good voice and serenaded Chris Solly. Hamer handled well from an Ambrose free kick, the former Palace player being greeted with boos.

Bradley Pritchard put in a good defensive header as Ambrose threatened. Kermorgant turned provider for Wright-Phillips who was tackled. Jackson put a great ball into the box, it evaded Wright-Phillips and Kermorgant put it over the bar. Pritchard got caught offside, but he was making some good runs from deep.

Bradley Wright-Phillips put the ball over the bar with Kermorgant poised. Ambrose put in an appalling shot which went high up in the air with the ball eventually dropping by the corner flag.

Birmingham had a spell of possession but didn’t do very much with it. Charm merchant King fouled Wiggins. Play from the free kick led to a shot by Wright-Phillips which went over.

Lee Clark didn’t seem too happy about the way things were going and shouted out some instructions. Hamer made a comfortable save.

Kermorgant won the Addicks a free kick, but the move didn’t go anywhere. Wiggins dealt well with the advancing Burke, guiding the ball out.

Wiggins put a great ball in, Jackson failed to take the chance. The kilted Burke advanced and put the ball into the near post where it was gathered by Hamer.

Wiggins made Burke look a complete fool with a beautiful turn and the Scotsman slipped over. Charlton won a corner through Stephens. Morrison headed it back across goal and Birmingham counter attacked.

Morrison got away from the Charlton midfield and put in a shot which was not too far wide. Clark continued to show his frustration at the lack of progress for the home side.

Wiggins had to go safety first and conceded a corner, enlivening the home fans. King put in a poor header.

Half time: Blues 0, Addicks 0

Kermorgant tackled Ambrose from behind and got a booking. Hamer got the free kick away from danger with a punch. Chris Powell had a long chat with Cook. Hamer was annoyed with the midfield for not being tight enough and allowing a shot to come in. Morrison put in a great defensive block as King threatened. Wiggins had to concede a corner. The ball was cleared away by Morrison.

Wright-Phillips should have put in a shot instead of laying the ball off to Kermorgant.

Birmingham were stepping up their game. Burke beat Wiggins for the first time, but then as Ambrose threatened, Wiggins got in a block.

Charlton won a corner following good work from Wiggins. Jackson took the corner, then in the following play Pritchard put a good ball in and Jackson had another heading opportunity and for the third time put it over.

Charlton applied some good pressure after a corner, then Birmingham broke, but Solly coped well and Charlton countered and Butland did well in the Blues goal. Blues made a double substitution bringing on Spector and Redmond.

King shot straight at Hamer. His handling had been good, evidently the laser eye surgery has done its job. Solly shoved Murphy and the Blues called for a penalty. Charlton won a corner, but it was cleared. Hollands was caught and the Addicks got a free kick in a promising position 30-35 yards out. The effort by Stephens was wide, he should have let Kermorgant take it.

Johnnie Jackson put in a shot but it was well saved. Jackson put in a good ball to Wright-Phillips, but he put it wide and was judged to have used his hand. Redmond put in a shot that went wide.

Wright-Phillips came off and was replaced by Cook. Ambrose put in a strong challenge on the substitute. A corner taken by Ambrose was won by Hamer in the air. Kermorgant put in a great ball and Spector had to put it out for a corner.

King headed the ball clear. Charlton won another corner after a Stephens throw in. Charlton kept the ball alive and Cort scored from point blank range eight minutes from time. The Addickted were in full voice with ‘Valley Floyd Road’. Birmingham brought on Zigic. Lovenkrandz came off.

Morrison was caught with an elbow by Zigic. Some of the Blues fans started to head home. Hollands put in a strong challenge on Zigic. Matt Taylor came on to strengthen the defence in place of Jacko.

Charlton were playing keep ball. Four minutes were added on. Charlton won a free kick off Zigic. Charlton failed to clear the ball, Zigic got the ball on his favoured left foot and equalised.

Elsewhere Palace lost 2-3 at home to Watford and Millwall were defeated 2-0 at the Toolbox by Blackpool, but Sheffield Wednesday got a massive point away with a 2-2 draw at Derby.

No comments: