Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Addicks go out on penalties

Charlton had a substantially different look from last Saturday’s closed door friendly against Fulham for the Capital One cup clash with Leyton Orient reports Liz Horton from The Valley. Eight changes were made in total with an unexpected pairing of 20-year old Michael Smith and Scott Wagstaff up front. New signings Cook, Kerkar and Wilson were all given a start. The crowd was 5,914 with not far short of a thousand from the O's.

An early shot by Kerkar from just outside the penalty area went close. The game had a lively start. Cook advanced well, getting past three Orient players, and won a corner. For their part Orient were trying to reach Mooney and Lisbie with the long ball. Lisbie put in a shot but it was well saved by Hamer down to his right.

After a defensive mix up between Hamer and Taylor from a Charlton free kick, Mooney had a chance for a shot but he put it over. Hollands failed to make use of a potentially good position. A volley from Danny Green was off target.

Charlton won their second corner of the game. The ball was punched away by the keeper. Green tried a shot but it was gathered comfortably.

After the first fifteen minutes the game became quieter in the warm conditions. Orient put some pressure on after one of their trademark throw ins, but Hamer gathered. Baldry went in cynically on Cook and received a yellow card. The free kick was unproductive.

Charlton made a good counter attack with Cook and Wagstaff, the ball took a deflection, but Wagstaff claimed it as the Addicks went 1-0 ahead.

Charlton won another corner taken by Kerkar, but the ball went just over Smith. Good work by Cook closing the full back down set up Green but he was just wide.

Orient got a free kick 25-30 yards from goal. Former Seagull Cox got round the wall but Hamer had the situation under control. Green was penalised for a foul throw. A cross from Wilson led to a corner which Orient could have avoided. The Addicks won a second corner which was punched away and Cook’s effort was way over the top.

Mooney shot from long range to jeers from the Addickted. Cort dealt well with an attempt by the O’s to launch an attack. Orient earned their first corner of the game in stoppage time, it was whipped in and went into the back of the net at very close range.

Half time: Addicks 1, O’s 1

An Orient free kick was unproductive. Mooney went down inside the box after a challenge from Wilson and the penalty was awarded in front of the O’s supporters in the Jimmy Seed. Mooney’s effort hit the crossbar and bounced away, demonstrating his calibre once again. An O’s corner was headed away by Taylor, but the Addicks were not able to launch an effective counter attack.

A Danny Green free kick led to Charlton’s sixth corner of the game as Taylor threatened. The O’s managed to scramble the ball clear. Cook put in a good cross but Cort was unable to connect.

Orient won a corner. The header from the unmarked Smith was wide. A cross from Hollands led to a Charlton corner. Green’s effort hit the post off an Orient defender. Jordan Cook went down after a clash with James. An effort by Cort was deflected and gave Charlton another corner. The keeper lost it but Cort could not direct the ball into the back of the unguarded net.

Mooney was taken off to a few derisive boos. Orient won a free kick rather dubiously in a potentially dangerous position, a Charlton player having been fouled moments before. The referee sent Chris Powell to the stands after he declared his unhappiness with the decision and with the fourth official. The free kick went behind.

Wilson did well to feed Smith, there was a shout for handball. The referee was starting to lose it as Sawyer went into the book. A Danny Green free kick went over Smith’s head. After another Charlton free kick, the ball from Danny Green hit the woodwork. A drive from Matt Taylor went wide.

The Addicks won their ninth corner which was taken short, Kerkar’s effort was fierce but a few yards wide. Smith won the tenth corner. The keeper was able to grab the ball after Taylor hesitated. Hamer had to make a good save down to his right from a fiercely struck ball. Hamer dealt with the corner well.

Evina’s excellent cross was sliced away and Charlton won a free kick 20 yards from goal. Green’s effort sailed over the top. Taylor had to head behind to give Orient a corner but it ended in a wild shot. Orient made another change bringing on their loan player from Stoke while Lisbie came off and got some applause. Brunt went on his own and shot straight at Hamer.

Orient won a corner with 90 seconds to go. The ball went out for a throw in. Five minutes of stoppage time were added on. Cook released the ball to Green who drove just wide.

Full time: 1-1

Orient won a corner off Taylor who then cleared. A long-range shot was straight at Hamer. The O's won a second corner. The ball was cleared by Green. Orient made another substitution. An Orient player was booked for a foul, the referee Mr Ward should have played advantage rather than giving a free kick 25 yards from goal. The keeper had to palm Kerkar's effort round the post. Cort headed the ball into the side netting.

After 99 minutes Pritchard came on to replace Kerkar who went off to warm applause. The game seemed to be slowing down with the prospect of penalties looming. Two minutes were added on to the first period of extra time.

At the break Johnnie Jackson came on to replace Jordan Cook and Bradley Wright-Phillips replaced Michael Smith. Chris Powell had decided he did not want penalties. A testing cross from Brunt was gathered by Hamer. A shot by Wright-Phillips was deflected for a Charlton corner, their twelth of the match. The ball was cleared off the line as Cort threatened.

A shot from Wright-Phillips was blocked. Orient won a corner off Evina. The ball was cleared off the line and then went wide. Following an O's free kick, Charlton counter attacked but Green's effort went just over the top.

Orient won another corner. Hamer punched out well. Wilson was fouled leading to a yellow card. An effort by Pritchard went over.


Word came through that Millwall had lost 4-1 on penalties to Crawley at the Toolbox. Jackson's well struck effort was saved by Allsopp low to his left. Hamer was sent the wrong way by Symes and Orient went 1-0 ahead. Wilson hit the crossbar. Hamer went the wrong way again and it was 2-0. Green scored for Charlton to make it 2-1. Hamer went the right way and saved so it stayed at 2-1. Wright-Phillips scored with a good penalty to make it 2-2. James scored to make it 3-2 to Orient. Pritchard score to make it 3-3. Brunt scored and Orient went through.

No comments: