Monday 13 April 2009

Ten Man Brakes Slump to Defeat

Leamington slumped a to 1-3 defeat at home to Chasetown in front of a crowd of 1,151 at the New Windmill Ground today. With Nuneaton reportedly winning at Atherstone, last minute brakes failure looms. For their part Chasetown completed the double over Leamington.

I lost count of how many cards the juvenile referee had wielded by the end of the game, but it was around seven or eight. This including sending off Morton Titterton, Leamington's assistant manager, although it was rumoured that this was really because he wanted Titterton to go to his dressing room and help solve a maths problem that was causing the referee trouble with his homework.

However, it is no use blaming the referee for the result. Chasetown wanted it more and were better on the day. Of course, it's the old glass half full, glass half empty story. Leamington were not at their best, but this was because they were outmanoeuvred by the opposition, particularly in midfield. Moaners started to complain about manager Jason Cadden.

Chasetown started brightly and went ahead and six minutes through Dean Perrow. This followed casual defending which left Chris Kiely exposed in the Leamington goal, although arguably he should have stayed on his line.

Brakes had a chance to equalise when they were presented with an open goal, but they could not find the back of the net. Leamington's chances of getting back in the game received a blow when the referee gave Stuart Herlihy a straight red for use of the elbow, Vaughan Thomas having to go off injured and being replaced by Joe Williams.

Cadzy decided to change it around on 35 minutes by replacing Steve Palmer with Liam Reynolds.

Half time: Brakes 0, Scholars 1

Brakes started the second half brigthly enough, but Ben Steane, who had showed great pace throughout the game, pretty much decided the game on 64 minutes by making it 2-0 through a ball slotted along the ground which left Kiely with little chance.

Cadzy then brought on Jai Stanley, followed by Josh Blake, but this meant that Brakes were left with only two defenders as they sought to press forward. The inevitable happened when Chasetown made it 3-0 through a header. Leamington were able to pull back a consolation through Stanley in the 89th minute.

1 comment:

Ketts said...

Just a temporary hiccup Wyn.No such troubles for Truro,they had their promotion sealed inside the first half-hour.