Saturday, 27 October 2012

Addicks maintain unbeaten away run at Molineux

It’s the same side as at Leeds for Charlton at Molineux, reports Paul May. Dale Stephens continues to have problems with a tight hamstring, but Matt Taylor returns from injury to the bench.

Charlton started brightly enough with Wolves looking pained if they lost possession. Dervitte had a try from distance. A right hand cross came in which Foley had plenty of time to set up and Sako was given too much time to volley in from the penalty spot into the corner of the net to make it 1-0 after 12 minutes. The defending was lax.

Pennant put a cross in, but Ebanks-Blake took it off the foot of Sako. Wolves were getting too much space on the Charlton left. Doumbia advanced, but eventually Morrison dealt with him.

Charlton won their first corner as Kerkar, Hulse and Pritchard advanced. Wolves countered from the corner, but Dervitte maintained control. Cort headed clear as Wolves threatened. Hulse was on his own up front and was beaten to balls in the air.

Kerkar was judged to have fouled Pennant in a dangerous position. Sako went straight for goal from the free kick and Hamer had to punch clear as the ball swung in towards the near post. Solly made ground and got a cross in. Pritchard put a well lofted ball over the centre half, but Hulse did not anticipate it well.

A good ball to the back post was cleared by Cort, after Evina had failed to keep the ball in play, and the subsequent moves led to a Wolves corner. Johnson volleyed over the bar from Sako’s corner.

Doyle put a ball up to the far post but Hamer was able to collect. Hulse put in a weak shot straight at the keeper. Morrison put in a great tackle on Doumbia who would otherwise have been able to turn provider for Doyle. Doumbia’s own effort was tame and easily gathered by Hamer.

An effort by Kerkar went into the side netting. This was the closest Charlton had been to scoring. An attempt by Doyle was blocked by Morrison. A header by Johnson off a free kick from Sako was claimed by Hamer. Hulse put Berra under pressure, but the follow up was disappointing.

Wolves had had most of the possession and play, but at least the Addicks went in only one behind, giving them a chance to regroup and rethink.

Wolves 1, Addicks 0

Siguardsson replaced Ebanks-Blake to add an Arctic blast to the occasion. In the opening encounters, neither side created anything significant. A Solly cross evaded Hulse. The cross came from Pennant – who was under no real pressure - into Doyle and from there to the path of Doumbia, but the goal was ruled out for offside after the ball had hit Doyle.

An excellent cross from Evina came in, Hulse attacked it, it came back off Ikeme and it broke into the path of Wilson who equalised, saving Hulse’s blushes. The home fans were unsettled. Pritchard sent the ball in, but Hulse’s free header went the wrong side of the post.

Morrison met a cross from Sako at the near post at the expense of a corner kick. The ball was eventually cleared after Sako had a second bite of the cherry. Hulse burst through and was one on one, but hit it straight at the keeper. The corner was headed clear.

Pennant whipped in a good ball but Hamer came off his line to claim. Cort headed away a cross from Ward. Henry cynically fouled Pritchard. Sako had a free kick in a dangerous position but it went straight at Hamer.

Dervitte gave the ball away, but fortunately Wolves were not to do anything with it. Forde and Edwards came on for Wolves with Pennant and Henry departing. Pennant was not happy at being taken off.

Kerkar was taken off, having had a rather quiet afternoon. Cook came on. Wolves were spending more time in the Charlton half. Hulse got the first booking of the afternoon for a rather unnecessary challenge on Berra.

Hulse headed wide from eight yards when he had the goal at his mercy, having been set up by a great cross by Solly. Three minutes were added on. Sako had a chance with his left foot but he put the ball over the bar. Doyle advanced, but Hollands tidied up well. The full time whistle blew and the boos rang out from the home fans. Charlton had maintained their unbeaten away run, but they could have taken all three points.

Unfortunately, results elsewhere meant that Charlton slipped to 20th, just two points above a relegation positon.

No comments: