Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Useful away point at Leeds

Charlton had what looked like a relatively defensive line up at Elland Road, reports Paul May. Evina and Dervitte both got a start, while former Leeds man Hulse was on his own up front. Pritchard started alongside Jackson with Stephens not appearing and Callum Harriot being promoted to the bench. The Leeds line up included former Addick Luke Varney.

Charlton won a corner after 20 seconds thanks to good work by Hulse. The Addicks started positively with Leeds unable to get out of their own half. A cross from Wilson had to be plucked out of the air by Kenny.

The Leeds crowd was quiet, but was able to cheer the award of a goal kick. The Addickted started up a chorus of Valley Floyd Road. Pritchard gave away a free kick 25 yards out after Leeds made their first advance through Varney. The free kick was cleared.

Leeds won their first corner, but the header sailed well over the bar. Leeds attacked but Charlton countered and won a free kick. Evina fouled Byram to concede a free kick. The ball was headed away by Cort. Then Cort had to put in a great block on a shot and Wilson had to clear.

The Charlton midfield was giving Leeds problems. Leeds had posed no real threat as the halfway point in the half approached. However, Charlton’s dominance had not really created a chance. Then a Jackson free kick created one, but Cort put it wide.

Becchio was booked for kicking the ball into the Leeds supporters as frustration started to show.

Leeds made an attack in which Diouf was prominent, but Pritchard was able to scramble the ball away for a Leeds throw in. Then with nine minutes to go Leeds went one ahead with the ball lashed into the corner of the net, although Cort had a push in the back as the ball went into the penalty area and arguably Charlton should have had a free kick.

Jackson had a great chance, but put the ball wide. An attempt made by Hulse from thirty yards went well wide when Jackson was dashing into the penalty area.

Leeds were starting to look more comfortable in possession. Pritchard won a corner from Charlton. Jackson took the corner and the ball, possibly from Hulse, came off the woodwork to go out for a free kick. A shot from Paul Green was blocked by Morrison, but in any case the flag went up.

Three minutes were added on but the final phase was uneventful. A flag went up late against Hulse but Kenny saved anyway. Charlton had got no reward for their efforts and the players surrounded the referee to complain about the goal that had not been ruled out, and a terrible two footed challenge in time added on, while a furious Chris Powell went to the centre circle to talk to the referee.

HT: 1-0

Leeds won an early corner after Becchio tried to steer the ball in. The corner was unproductive.

Charlton equalised through Dervitte who slammed the ball in the corner of the net to score his first goal for Charlton to the delight of the Addickted. Justice was done! The Addickted kept up their chants.

An effort by Diouf was blocked by Evina at the expense of a corner. Dervitte headed away, the ball came back in, but Morrison headed away. Leeds kept up the pressure and Cort had to head the ball out for a corner. The ball was eventually belted clear.

Cort was keeping a close eye on Diouf. Pritchard sent the ball in for Hulse but it was just ahead of him, but the former Leeds man applauded the one time Hayes and Yeading player who was covering every blade of grass.

Wilson got away on the right, but despite poor defending by Leeds Kerkar was unable to put the ball away. A cross by Diouf was eased away by Morrison while the charm merchant lost his boot.

Pritchard was booked for a foul while the news came through that it was 3-3 at the New Den after Millwall had been 3-0 up. Leeds decided to go for a double substitution, Varney and Paul Green going off.

Evina had to put the ball behind for the fifth Leeds corner of the game. The ball went over the bar and Cort made a great interception to deny what otherwise would have been a goal as the halfway point of the half was reached.

A shot from Norris was blocked. Dervitte was given the ball away rather carelessly. Becchio was taken off and one time Addick Andy Gray was brought on.

Leeds won their seventh corner. Charlton needed some fresh legs, but there was no sign of any activity on the Charlton bench. Pritchard got inside the box, but was challenged well. Charlton won a corner as they came close to taking a lead as Solly threatened. Jackson’s corner was a good one, but no one was able to connect.

News came through that Barnsley had equalised against Palace. Kerkar had a chance from six yards out but he put it wide. Hulse was taken off after a good performance to applause from the Leeds supporters and was replaced by Wright-Phillips.

The referee gave a free kick to Charlton in a promising position. Jackson got a yellow card for a late challenge. Hamer claimed well from the free kick. Wright-Phillips got a yellow card for a hand ball. Wilson advanced, Wright-Phillips was denied at point blank range by Kenny. The corner was headed away as the match entered stoppage time.

There was a real scramble in the six yard area and Leeds won a corner in the third minute of stoppage time, but Wilson belted it away. Good work by Pritchard set up Wright-Phillips who put in a volley towards the top corner, but Kenny made a stunning save. The corner went out of play.

Wyn Grant Apparently Leeds were booed off at the end of the match for failing to claim the expected three easy points. Charlton remain 18th in the table, at the lower end of the range of pre-season predictions by pundits (13th-18th).

No comments: