Saturday, 29 August 2009

It's that man Sam

Lloyd Sam scored two of Charlton's goals as they beat Tranmere 4-0 at Prenton Park today, to remain top of League 1 on goal difference over Leeds who won at Colchester, but four points ahead of MK Dons in third place. The other goals came from Semedo and Bailey. The Addicks dominated the game with 60 per cent of the possession.

Shelvey put in a good effort from 20 yards on 7 minutes reports Erith Addick Paul May. Sam sent in a cross on 10 minutes, but Daniels in the home goal made the save. Dailly then put in a header from the resultant corner, but it went wide.

Daniels saved a shot from Burton and the Charlton corner was cleared. Charm merchant Shaleum Logan fouled Nicky Bailey and got a yellow card.

On 23 minutes Shelvey put in a cross and Lloyd Sam headed into the back of the net from deep inside the box to make it 1-0 to the Addicks. Less than two minutes later Charlton were 2-0 ahead after Semedo put the ball unto the bottom right corner of the goal from deep inside the box, the assist coming from Shelvey.

After Gunning was penalised for handball, Llera put in an effort from the free kick, but a defender was able to block for the home side.

As the half hour mark was passed, Bailey had a try from outside the area, but his effort went to the left. Tranmere won a corner, but Youga was able to clear. After a foul by Llera, Elliot had to save from the free kick.

The Addicks had a half chance just before the break after a free kick was awarded for a foul on Sam, but Tranmere managed to clear the ball.

Half time: Tranmere 0, Charlton 2

Tranmere supremo John Barnes made a double substitution at the end of the break, Gareth Edds and Michael Ricketts coming on and Chris Shuker and Alan Mahon coming off.

After Youga turned provider, Sam found the back of the net with a header from inside the six yard box to make it 3-0 to the Londoners. Supposedly inept Charlton manager Phil Parkinson had picked out Sam as a key player before the match.

A Burton shot from 25 yards was blocked. McLaren and Gornell were booked by the referee as Tranmere resorted to fouls. After Sam had turned provider, a close range header from Burton went wide. Elliot saved from Ricketts. Llera got booked and Tranmere made their last substitution with Ryan Fraughan coming on for Gornell.

All that happened as a result was that Bailey scored from outside the box on 67 minutes to make it 4-0. On 74 minutes Spring was brought on for Semedo. Goodison made an effort from inside the box which went way over. Elliot was able to save comfortably from Logan and was not troubled by an effort from Edds.

With Charlton in command, Tuna was brought on to replace Shelvey on 82 minutes. McLaren tried for a consolation on 88 minutes, but Elliot kept his clean sheet.

As the game went into time added on, Richardson tried his luck from outside the area but the shot went wide.

Tranmere may be one of the weaker sides in the division, but no one can argue with a 4-0 away win and five victories out of five. Parky must be in the running for manager of the month.


Mike Woodhouse said...

So in under a year Parky has plumbed the depths of longest run without a win and soared to the heights of best season opening ever. It looks like it's going to be a roller-coaster ride...

PeterB said...

It already seems a long time ago, but wasn't the loosing run mostly when Pardew was manager

Wyn Grant said...

We lost fewer matches under Parkinson, but did not win enough (as I recall). But I do think that performances started to improve. We can see Pardew's magic at Southampton who have yet to win a league game.

Friendly Henry said...

"PARKINSON'S RED & WHITE ARMY!" Let's get behind him. He's doing the best possible job he can at present, he deserves some credit. Come on, Covered End, sing up! Let's just hope we don't get any injuries, eh? I'm looking forward to Leeds away already... Cheers and COYA!