Wednesday 1 January 2020

Dinas Abertawe i ffwrdd

Over the past few weeks I have been chatting by e-mail to someone I knew a long time ago who then worked down Coventry fish market on a Saturday morning and was a keen Sky Blue. He now has his CBE, has retired to near Swansea and supports Dinas Abertawe. Mind you, my friend in Cardiff has both a CBE and was made a Dame Commander in very interesting circumstances.

I have to admit that I am envious of the half a dozen or so friends who made it to the Lords. When some of them have invited me for tea or lunch, I am aware that this is the plushest facility for the elderly in the UK.

I have been doing some consultancy work in Abertawe for a few years now, but found getting paid a bit of a struggle. The secret I found was to e-mail them in Welsh. Fortunately, I have two nephews from rural Ceredigion where the language spoken at home, school and work is 'the old language'. In football it doesn't seem to be used very much but, of course, the real Welsh sporting passion is egg chasing.

Nevertheless, Swansea City see tomorrow's fixture with troubled Charlton as a golden chance to secure three points. While admitting that the game will be a tough one, the mood at the Liberty Stadium is optimistic after a period when the Swans were not doing very well at home: Confident message from Swansea City man

Hope springs eternal. It has been a mixed bag of results in the Championship Relegation League today, but Wigan giving Birmingham City a blue start to the New Year today means that the Addicks are just five points off the drop zone. Even a point tomorrow would help, but Bowyer's stretched and injury ravaged squad face a tough challenge in Wales.

Desmond from Deal says: 'Mark my words! Defeat stares us in the face at Swansea and it will be down to Bowyer.'

One consolation of Leamington losing 2-1 to Gloucester City today in the A46 derby is that City was beset with moaners when they were 2-1 ahead. It's not just Charlton that has pessimists whose main pleasure is to criticise their own team.

No comments: