Friday 10 January 2020

Former Charlton executive speaks out on betting row

Steve Sutherland (aka 'Sunderland' at Charlton) states in relation to the betting controversy enveloping the FA: 'My own antipathy towards the rise of betting brands sponsorship in football is well known and I pride myself on the fact that all of the major sponsorships I was personally involved in negotiating during my 23 years in professional football – whether that was for Charlton Athletic in my two spells at the Club or for The Football League (now known as The EFL) or for Swindon Town – were with companies whose products, services and brand values were ones that I was personally happy to promote to supporters of my Club, or in the case of The EFL, to supporters of all 72 Clubs.'

Of the current controversy he says: 'Three years ago, the Football Association indicated that it wanted to distance itself from the gambling industry by ending its £4million-a-year sponsorship from Ladbrokes, who are owned by GVC Holdings. It’s little wonder then that The FA are receiving heavy criticism over the sale of FA Cup rights to BET365 via its deal with sports rights agency IMG, a deal which is due to run until 2024.'

Read his remarks in full here: FA Cup betting deal controversy

No comments: