Wednesday 13 August 2014

Bore draw?

Charlton have been drawn away to Derby County in the next round of the league cup. They are a team we will play anyway twice this season and, given the home advantage, they are more likely to go through. We rarely seem to get interesting ties, but at least we are not playing Huddersfield.

Our record in all competitive matches at Derby is not as bad as I thought: the Rams have won 17 matches, Charlton 12 and 10 have been drawn. However, we last won a game there in the Premier League in 1999, although there have been some draws since then. We were, of course, beaten by them in the FA Cup final in 1946.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Beaten in 1946? Jose Mourinho told me it was a draw.....

Wyn Grant said...

LoL. My arrival in time for the 1947 final must have made the difference :-)

Brian G said...

The problem with the draw is that it's impossible to get back by train from Derby after a game, with the last train to London leaving at 21.40. Travelling by car is OK if you're retired like me, not caring what time you get back home,and it has been noticeable from recent Charlton league games there that many of the supporters are of my own age group. I wonder, Wyn, has anyone ever done any work on the age profile of our season ticketholders and/or regular supporters?

Geoff said...

When we were 3-0 up on Tuesday the BBM moaned, "Bet we get Huddersfield". He'll probably be wishing he was right, but at least Belgian Bob and proto-Dutch Schteve can schpeak the schame language to one another.

Wyn Grant said...

Brian G, the club must have that kind of information on their database, but I don't know if they have done any work on it recently. Valley Gold members would, I think, tend to be older and there have been some complaints about their entitlement to away tickets when younger regular supporters are not VG members - and presumably can't afford/or don't want to join Valley Gold. Derby is not too far from me, but still quite a way for a cup game. But I do have a friend who is a Ram who lives locally so maybe I can get a lift.